|UCLA DA 807.08: Approval of Project Design|
October 04, 2013
|From:||Vice Chancellor and Chief Financial Officer Steven A. Olsen|
|To:||Associate Vice Chancellor, Design & Construction Peter Hendrickson|
|Supersedes:||UCLA DA 807.06 (Approval of Project Design) to Associate Vice Chancellor Hendrickson, dated 08/21/2009.|
On September 18, 2008, The Regents amended the Policy on Approval of Design, Long Range Development Plans, and the Administration of the California Environmental Quality Act. The policy statement on design approval provides in part:
(1) The Regents designate the following categories of projects as requiring design approval by the Committee on Grounds and Buildings:
- Except as provided in subparagraph (c) [below], building projects with a total project cost in excess of $10,000,000, except when such projects consist of the following:
- Alterations or remodeling where the exterior of the building is not materially changed;
- Buildings or facilities located on agricultural, engineering, or other field stations; or
- Agriculture-related buildings or facilities located in areas of a campus devoted to agricultural functions.
- Capital improvement projects of any construction cost when, in the judgment of the President,
a project merits review and approval by The Regents because of budget matters, fundraising activities, environmental impacts, community concerns, or other reasons.
- Building projects on campuses approved by the Committee on Grounds and Buildings for inclusion in the Pilot Phase of the Delegated Process for Capital Improvement Projects with a total project cost in excess of $60,000,000, subject to the same exclusions as subparagraph (a). This subparagraph shall become inoperative and is repealed on March 31, 2014, unless a later Regents’ action, that becomes effective on or before March 31, 2014, deletes or extends the date on which it becomes inoperative and is repealed.
Exercise of this authority shall be in accordance with guidelines established by The Regents and the President, as they may be amended from time to time. These shall include, but are not limited to the following reporting and accountability requirements: (a) the Major Capital Projects Implementation Report, reporting adherence to plans and aggregated performance on specific metrics of Regental and Presidential interest; (b) a physical environment review, reviewing implementation of the Physical Design Framework through regular visits, and by a self-assessment survey of faculty, students, and staff; and (c) an audit, monitoring the factual validity of information reported throughout the process, along with Regental and Presidential policy compliance.
This delegation is being issued due to the supersession of parent UC delegation of authority 2219. The only substantive change to the delegation being superseded is the total individual project cost has increased from $5,000,000 to $10,000,000. This authority may not be further delegated.
Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost
Director, Contracts, Capital Programs
Manager, Administrative Policies & Delegations